Go Vote Colorado


By visiting www.govotecolorado.com you can quickly Sagauche County Voter Registration
and easily update your registration,
change your address or party affiliation.

Clerk & Recorder Home

Colorado Open Records Act (CORA)

Colorado Open Records Act (CORA)

What is CORA?

“CORA” stands for “Colorado Open Records Act”.  In the spirit of open government, the Colorado Open Records Act requires that most public records be available to the public.  Anyone can request information that is in the possession of a government office.  24- 72 (C.R.S.)

Where do I submit my records request?

You must submit your request to the custodian of the record - the government office that actually holds the record itself.  There is no central repository for public records or single office that fulfills public records requests in Colorado.  If you don’t know how to contact a person from the appropriate office, call the government entity and ask how to submit your request.

To request records in possession of the Saguache County Clerk and Recorder’s Office, send a written request by mail, fax, or email to:

Saguache County Clerk and Recorder

PO Box 176      501 4th St

Saguache CO 81149

Fax:  719-655-2730

Do all open records requests go through the Saguache County Clerk’s Office?

No.  An open records request needs to be filed directly with the appropriate government office or the custodian of the records that you want to see.  Other agencies may have different processes for open records requests, so contact the office ahead of time to review its process.

Do I have to submit a CORA request with the Saguache County Clerk’s Office to get information?

No.  It is the intent of our office to provide records to the public without requiring a CORA request.

Before making a CORA request, contact our office to request information from our staff.  Many documents are already available to the public.  We would be more than happy to help you access these filings without asking you to make a CORA request.